Although West Virginia was formally admitted to the Union in June, the clerks at the Ordnance Department still used the, then, obsolete header of “Virginia” when grouping batteries from the state:
Eight batteries of the 1st (West) Virginia Light Artillery and two artillery sections in infantry regiments. We’ll break this down into two installments, for clarity and convenience. So first we look at the 1st regiment’s batteries:
The 1st Regiment only ever had eight batteries. Battery A’s first commander Philip Daum, was the regiment’s ranking officer, promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in mid-1862 (though some records indicate a rank of Colonel, I find no documentation of that rank in the US Volunteers). Daum served as an artillery chief during the Valley Campaigns of 1862. But I am unsure as to his role and responsibilities after that point. The eight batteries were representing the new state in the field:
- Battery A: At Camp Barry, D.C. with four 12-pdr Napoleons. This battery was in the Artillery Camp of Instruction, Camp Barry. On September 3, George Furst was promoted to captain. Later in December the battery would return to the field.
- Battery B: At Beverly, (West) Virginia with six 10-pdr Parrotts. Captain John V. Keeper command this battery, supporting Averill’s Brigade, Department of West Virginia.
- Battery C: At Rappahannock Station, Virginia with six 10-pdr Parrotts (although a consolidated report from the Army of the Potomac, dated August 31, gives this battery four Parrotts). The “Pierpoint Battery” remained under Captain Wallace Hill. The battery remained in the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac. With reorganizations of the reserve, the battery moved from the Third Volunteer Brigade to the Fourth Volunteer Brigade. And it would later move to the Second Volunteer Brigade.
- Battery D: Reporting at New Creek, (West) Virginia with six 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. Captain John Carlin’s battery was part of Mulligan’s Brigade, Department of West Virginia. Recall this battery spiked and abandoned its guns with the retreat from 2nd Winchester. Just a few weeks later, the battery was re-equipped and in the field.
- Battery E: Reporting at Mechanicsburg Gap, (West) Virginia with six 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. Under Captain Alexander C. Moore, this battery was part of Campbell’s Independent Brigade, Department of West Virginia. The battery is mentioned on interpretive markers at Fort Mill Ridge, overlooking the Mechanicsburg Gap.
- Battery F: At Camp Barry, D.C. with four 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. Recall this battery was caught up in the retreat from Martinsburg in June, losing all four guns (which were obviously replaced when they arrived at Camp Barry). Captain Thomas A. Maulsby, commanding the battery, was among the wounded. In his place, Lieutenant John S.S. Herr commanded through July. Herr became ill and relinquished command to Lieutenant James C. Means in August. Finally, in October, Lieutenant George W. Graham was promoted to battery captain. Again, note this battery was rapidly re-equipped after the disasters of June 1863.
- Battery G: Indicated at Martinsburg, (West) Virginia with two 6-pdr field guns and two 10-pdr Parrotts. Captain Chatham T. Ewing commanded this battery. But with Ewing wounded at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia on August 26, Lieutenant Howard Morton stood in as commander. The battery supported Averell’s Separate Brigade, Department of West Virginia.
- Battery H: No return. Captain James H. Holmes was commissioned as commander of this battery in late September. The battery was still organizing through the fall.
Moving on to the ammunition reported, first the smoothbore:
- Battery A: 128 shot, 64 shell, 200 case, and 128 canister for 12-pdr Napoleons.
- Battery G: 300 case for 6-pdr field guns.
Moving to the rifled projectiles, first the Hotchkiss:
- Battery D: 120 canister, 18 percussion shell, 278 fuse shell, and 720 bullet shell for 3-inch rifles.
- Battery E: 226 canister, 395 percussion shell, and 1,303 fuse shell for 3-inch rifles.
- Battery F: 80 canister, 111 percussion shell, 370 fuse shell, and 252 bullet shell for 3-inch rifles.
Yes, a lot of shells for Battery E as they protected their gap in the mountains.
On the next page, we only have Parrott projectiles to account for:
- Battery B: 372 shell, 333 case, and 206 canister for 10-pdr Parrott.
- Battery C: 653 shell, 270 case, and 213 canister for 10-pdr Parrott.
- Battery G: 92 shell for 10-pdr Parrott.
One entry for Schenkl projectiles:
- Battery C: 90 case for 10-pdr Parrott.
We turn last to the small arms reported:
- Battery A: Fifteen army revolvers and seventy-five cavalry sabers.
- Battery B: Eighteen navy revolvers and forty-four horse artillery sabers.
- Battery C: Ten navy revolvers and nine cavalry sabers.
- Battery D: Sixteen army revolvers and five horse artillery sabers.
- Battery E: Twenty-nine army revolvers and thirty horse artillery sabers.
- Battery F: Thirteen army revolvers, six navy revolvers, and twenty-five cavalry sabers.
- Battery G: Thirteen army revolvers.
Save for Battery H, which was still organizing, a rather complete record for the West Virginia batteries. We’ll look at the two sections reported in the infantry regiments next.