Great new addition to the blog roll today. Check out Steven Berkowitz’s Civil War Washington, DC.
His latest post looks at the Giesboro Cavalry Depot on the east side of the Anacostia River, where the Army staged horses destined to serve as mounts for the Eastern Theater’s troopers. As Steven notes, “From January 1864 to the end of the war, Giesboro handled 170,622 cavalry horses; issuing 97,580 for use by the Army and selling 48,721 as unfit for military service.”
Today the site of the depot is within Joint Base Bolling-Anacostia. Thanks to Steven’s excellent map work, we see how the terrain changed over time. Particularly where the fill to create the modern bases has altered the shore lines.
Keep up the good work, Steven!