Another short work week in the Civil War category at the Historical Marker Database. Winter weather keeps the marker hunters indoors, so only sixteen updates to discuss at this time. These are from Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, New York, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia:
– A marker in Glasgow, Kentucky notes the location of Fort Williams. General John H. Morgan’s raiders captured the fort in October 1863.
– Several markers this week note Civil War events in Bowling Green, Kentucky. First occupied by Confederates, Federals moved into the city in February 1862. As Confederates withdrew, they destroyed the bridge over Barren River. Other markers note Fort Webb and Resevoir Hill, part of the wartime defenses of the city.
– A marker in Savannah, Missouri notes wartime actions in Andrew County. Citizens of the county were divided over the war, with numbers taking up arms on both sides. By 1863, guerrillas had overrun the northwest Missouri county.
– A marker in Batavia, New York notes the residence of Captain Charles Rand of Company K, 12th New York Volunteers. “He distinguished himself in the First Battle of Bull Run at Blackburn’s Ford, Virginia, and became one of the first soldiers in American military history to earn the Congressional Medal of Honor.”
– A state marker on James Island, South Carolina indicates the site of Battery Haskell, which defended the access routes to Charleston.
– Confederates used the Presbyterian Church in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina as a hospital during the war. During reconstruction the church housed the Laing School for freedmen.
– A marker in Alpine, Texas introduces Colonel Henry P. Brewster, who served on the staff of Generals A.S. Johnston and John B. Hood. Brewster is the county’s namesake.
– In Wheeling, West Virginia, the Defenders of the Union memorial honors the community’s Federal veterans.