Seventeen new entries for the Civil War category at the Historical Marker database this week. Entries cover Civil War sites in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
– A marker near Gamaliel, Kentucky notes the location of Camp Anderson, which served as a rally point for pro-Union Kentuckians. The camp was abandoned by October 1861 when Confederates moved into the area.
– Three entries from Tompkinsville, Kentucky this week. The locality was a stop on General John H. Morgan’s first raid in July 1862. Morgan surprised the Federal garrison in the town on July 9, capturing supplies and troops after a short battle. A state marker in town notes the county courthouse was burned by Confederates in April 1863.
– A marker in Bowling Green, Kentucky discusses the history behind the Confederate Monument in the city’s Fairview Cemetery.
– In Annapolis, Maryland, a marker notes the only visits to the city by Abraham Lincoln, in February 1865.
– From the Vicksburg, Mississippi battlefield, we have a marker for Battery Benton, next to a 43-pdr seacoast gun of the type manned by detached naval personnel during the siege.
– A marker in Sperry, Oklahoma notes an action fought at Chusto-Talasah on December 9, 1861, outside modern day Tulsa. In the action Opothleyahola’s Union Indians forced the retreat of Col. D.H. Cooper’s Confederate troops.
– Freedman William “Uncle Bill” Lewis worked as a blacksmith in wartime Chattanooga, Tennessee. Perhaps with a touch of irony, Lewis forged and attached the shackles for Andrews Raiders in 1862.
– A marker near Whitesides, Tennessee notes the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad Bridge over Running Water Creek burned by Confederates as they retreated south in the summer of 1863.
– A new marker near Brooke, Virginia notes the winter 1862-3 camp of the Federal Twelfth Corps.