HMDB Civil War Updates – Week of August 23

This week, contributors to the Historical Marker Database added sixty-three new entries to the Civil War category.  These are public displays at Civil War sites in Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

– The Soldiers and Sailors memorial in New Haven, Connecticut is perhaps the most impressive in a state with many impressive Civil War memorials.  The tower incorporates plaques listing soldiers who died in the war.

– Tradition holds that Confederates often camped under an old live oak in Port Orange, Florida.

– The war came to Eatonton, Georgia twice.  A brigade of Federal cavalry rode through, heavily pursued, during General Stoneman’s July 1864 raid.  On November 21 of that year, Sherman’s Left Wing passed through, destroying the railroad line and nearby factories.

– A G.A.R. Memorial in Iola, Kansas honors that community’s Civil War veterans.  Another memorial stands in the Elm Grove Cemetery in Cadmus, Kansas.

– General Meade may have commanded an entire army during the war, but as a plaque at Barnegat Light, New Jersey indicates he built lighthouses before the war.

– A marker in Sleepy Hollow, New York notes that General John C. Fremont lived in the nearby community of Cold Spring.  But alas, the Pathfinder’s name is misspelled!

– Harriet Jacobs lived in Edenton, North Carolina where a state marker mentions her book Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.   As a nearby interpretive marker notes, the proximity to waterways allowed many slaves to escape through Edenton.

– The Ripley-Shepherd Building in Hendersonville, North Carolina served as a Confederate commissary during the war.

– The Alexander Dickson House served as General J.E. Johnston’s headquarters in April 1865.

– Our “Battlefields by Markers” tour of Bentonville, North Carolina now includes fifty-two entries.  Our tour by markers is arranged to support a driving tour.

– Several new Park Service interpretive markers around the Richmond, Virginia battlefields entered this week.  These include Chimborazo hospital, Seven Day’s Battle Begin, Chickahominy Buffs, the Garthright House (Gaines Mill and Cold Harbor), Grant’s Grand Assault and Killing Fields (Cold Harbor), Springfield Plantation, and A Splendid Field of Fire (Malvern Hill).

– Among the older markers in the Richmond area entered this week are several around Fort Harrison.

– Markers in Wheeling, West Virginia note the 1861 campaigns that secured Federal control of western Virginia, which later led to statehood.  Conventions held in Independence Hall established the “Restored Government of Virginia.”

– After the battle of McDowell, Virginia, General “Stonewall” Jackson pursued Federals past Franklin, West Virginia.  There, Union forces formed a hasty defense at Trout Rock.  Caves in that area supplied niter for Confederate munitions during the war.  Jackson remained in the area briefly before recalled back into the Shenandoah Valley.

– A couple of markers from Kingwood, West Virginia note the strong Union sentiment in Preston County.  The county provided more volunteers, in proportion to population, than any other during the war, according to one marker.  James McGrew, leader among the western Virginia Unionists, lived at “The Pines” in Kingwood.

– The Oshkosh, Wisconsin Civil War Memorial features three soldiers in a dramatic charge.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine