In February 1862, Major William Richardson Hunt approved receipt of over $2500 of ordnance from the Memphis firm of Quinby & Robinson.
The third item listed on the receipt records “1 6 pdr 3 in Rifle Gun” received on February 6 at a cost of $687.43. (Recall the nomenclature used for other Confederate 3-inch rifles incorporated similar references to the base 6-pdr caliber.) The 3-inch rifle was one of only a handful, perhaps only three, produced by Quinby & Robinson before the fall of Memphis that spring. Remarkably two of the guns survive today in Petersburg National Battlefield.
One is on display near the visitor center.
The other is located at Colquitt’s Salient opposite Fort Steadman.
At first glance the gun presents a clean appearance, with minimal moldings confined to the base ring and knob. The cylindrical rimbases attach directly to the gradually tapering barrel. Small numbers on top of the breech (#33 on the piece in front of the visitor center and #34 on the gun in the field) should correspond to a foundry numbers. The stamps on the right trunnion indicate the guns are indeed from Quinby & Robinson.
The year stamped on the left trunnion of each piece, 1862, puts the guns are in the range corresponding to the receipt shown above.
The thickness of metal at the muzzle suggests the original casting pattern was intended for a larger caliber weapon.
The bore features twelve left-handed twist lands and grooves. Remarkably, neither gun exhibits significant wear of the rifling.
The bore measures out at the prescribed 3-inches.
The breech profile incorporated a base ring, rounded breech face, and a rounded knob with rather thick fillet connecting to the breech.
The gun sight mounts are no longer attached. But the fittings indicate the use of a standard hausse seat in the rear and a spike front sight above the muzzle.
Of the pair, #33 definitely has more “character.”
The divot under the lower left of the barrel looks like a battle scar. But it could also be the result of mishandling. But it sounds so much more exciting to say some Yankee solid shot ricocheted off the barrel in the heat of some artillery duel. The damage deformed the interior of the gun and actually warped the bore.
Needless to say, #33 won’t be firing any more rounds.
Up until the recent refurbishment of the Petersburg artillery display, #33 sat on the rails between a James Type 2 14-pdr rifle and a Wiard 2.6-inch rifle, allowing for convenient comparison.
The Confederate rifle measures 61 inches long, compared to 74 inches for the James rifle and 52.5 inches for the Wiard.
The external appearance of these two Quinby & Robinson rifles, even if breaking with established patterns, is not unique. Another pair of 3-inch rifles at Petersburg, produced by A.B. Reading and Brother, from Vicksburg, Mississippi. I will examine them next.